Sunday, January 28, 2007

The Safety of Silence

I recently picked up the new Dixie Chicks CD and there is a song called "Silence". I want to talk about silence in the context that they sing about. Now for me, there are very few people in my life (one handful) that will fall into this place in which silence speaks more than words we will ever share. It is a comfort that comes from the confidence that the relationship you have does not always require words. That the love, respect, and friendship you share is true and timeless. It just is. Unspoken. It is these places I go to gain refuge from the constant hum of the world. To find the peace and safety of love and true friendship. It is a place I know that I am always safe and always wanted. I hope you all have a place or places like this that you share with people in your life. It is a most wonderful silence.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm 1326 miles away from Tracy. Thirteen years and six months ago, I lived next door to Tracy. We drove to Stennis together with tan legs in short mini's at 530 AM almost every morning. I watch and count birds here in Colorado with Tracy in the back of my mind all the time. I see youthful athletic women climbing mountains next to me that remind me of Tracy all the time. And I can't go to Vic Secret without thinking of Tracy running around my house with a skinny Vic Secret outfit. Although I'm not on the forefront of her mind or don't fill her youthful myspace.com, she is always, always a silent thought away. I recently had to make an emergency trip to Biloxi and Tracy opened up her new house to me to escape the trials of family illness and like all the times before, there was no catching up to do with Tracy. We picked up right where we left off the last time we saw each other. Now, that is the safety of silence. No expectations. No hidden agenda. No ridicule for momentary lapses of verbal communication.

Tracy said...

Meech I love you so much!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for writing this.