Thursday, May 06, 2021

Life in Transition - Part 2

The other day I was doing one of my least favorite chores, folding laundry.    This chore was one of my first as a kid.  I disliked it then and I dislike it now, but  we all know the clothes won’t fold themselves, so I dived in.  The particular  pile  that lay before me consisted of sheets and towels.   Towels are easy but sheets, especially fitted ones, are my nemesis.  My usual method is to just kind of roll them into a ball and call it done.   As I grabbed the first one I thought about my mom and how she could make a fitted sheet look exactly like a flat sheet.   Anyone who might look at a stack of my mom’s folded sheets would not be able to identify which were flat and which were fitted.   I was always in awe of this and always frustrated that I could never master this magic of the perfectly folded fitted sheet.   I drifted away in this memory of her and continued my folding.  I don’t know how long I stood there immersed in this memory but  I looked down and in my hands I held a perfectly folded, fitted sheet, just like my mom had always done.  At that moment, I felt her presence for the first time since she passed in January.  It was almost as if her hands had guided my hands on that sheet.  


For those of you reading this now, who’ve lost someone special, what are your magical memories?   When do you most often feel their presence?    When it comes, let it take you to that place and let it comfort you.   The people we love are never truly gone, they are with us all the time, preserved in our memories, and if we are listening, we will feel them, in those magical moments.

“Be still in your memories and let the magic wash over you.”   TLP 2021

  Peace ☮️ Love 💟

No comments: