Wednesday, October 18, 2006

Cynicism and a Side of Fries -- PART II

Well, I just had to return to the scene of the crime. A good friend of mind read my first post on this subject and said he was gonna blast me because I am successful and have accomplished a great deal and he said that I was not giving those things credit. I explained that the point of the post was not to be down on what I have done or accomplished but to point out how different it is from where I dreamed ( as a kid growing up) I would be. I wanted to be a school teacher and live on a big piece of land and have horses. Thanks to Katrina crushing our waterfront home, we have moved to slightly higher ground on a big piece of land. Don't have my horse yet but soon...... And then there's that teaching thing. I got to thinking about what my friend said and he is right. If we frame our expectatations by rigid definition of what those dreams are, then yes, maybe I really missed the mark. But...... if you define teaching in broader terms, then I am a teacher. I don't go to a classroom and teach math or science.... instead I am on a field with a bunch of soccer balls coaching a eight 8 and 9 year old girls the game of soccer, how to be a team and how to have fun. I mentor two of the best kids in the world and I teach them science and help them with their math. So here I am.....realizing my dreams.... just in a different way then I thought I would. And next week I will be in the halls of the Pentagon, meeting with people that many only dream of. Hmmm. Dreams....There goes that word again. The thing that I must constantly remind myself is that God has a plan for me. And it will be on his timetable, not mine.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Very insightful. Brilliant! Thank you for sharing these thoughts.